Thursday, May 01, 2008

$2 VS $200

About 2 months ago Zane stepped on a pretty big stick. It went right into the pad of his foot right under his toes. I pulled out the stick and cleaned it out to the best of my ability. Then we waited for it to heal.
When he wears socks and shoes it doesn't hurt him but I noticed that barefooted he would always limp. So, on Monday I took him to the doctor. The Doc said that if there is something in there a Podiatrist would have to be the one to remove it. But he suggested an X-ray, antibiotics, a topical cream and soaking it in Epsom Salt. (let's cover all the bases here) We went to the hospital and waited almost 2 hrs to complete the X-Ray. Then began the soaking process 2 times a day. (The doctor suggested 4 times but Zane wouldn't agree to take the bucket to school,ha!)

The Doctor's office called to say that the X-ray didn't show anything in his foot. (of course this is the same hospital that said Trent's leg wasn't broken)

After talking with a friend she said to continue soaking it because the Epsom salt would cause his body to get rid of it. On the second day Zane showed me a black thing under the surface of the skin. So, with David operating the flashlight and holding the foot down, I began to prick the skin with a needle and what should appear but a good size splinter.
Hopefully now his foot can truly heal.

I've never bought Epsom salt before but apparently it has many healing properties. According to the bag it's good for soaking sprains, a laxative, and great on your shrubs and flowering plants, and I guess we can add to the list expelling splinters. Hmm! Who knew?

So $2 for the Epsom salt or $200 for the X-ray. I always do love a good bargain.
(No pictures for obvious reasons)

No comments: